Sunday, February 10, 2008

Great Expectations

This is not going to be about Pip and Ms. Havisham, but it is about the power of expecations, high or low.
#1 with a bullet - The Patriots. It took me a week to come to terms with it, but that was a most unexpected result. The Giants just wanted it more and had a much younger, athletic defense. I know Genius Bill likes his linebackers experienced, but there's something to be said for freak athletic ability compensating for the occasional mental blunder. Down the stretch the old Patriots vets didn't make the plays and the younger Giants D made a pro-bowl line look bad. Real bad. Coulda woulda shoulda.
#2. Taxes. M and I did our taxes this weekend. Another unexpected result. We managed to get through them relatively painlessly. In our first year of joint filing, we survived the exam with no injuries and a little more jingle in our pockets. I always expect the tax software to reveal some grave error from 1998, so I speed through the questions, hoping if I finish fast enough I can sneak out unscathed. M just plain doesn't like doing them. She did volunteer to do them for the both of us, and I anticipated a somewhat grinding day. I think we got through them to everyone's satisfaction. I'm on deck for next year though. Giddyup.
#3 Craigslist. Does not meet expectations. We're not trying to get 95% back on the overpriced custom made couch I got 5 years ago and my dog soiled. I'm just trying to get rid of some stuff and avoid the loonies who show for the 'free goods' ads. My faith in the online shoppers is not high at the moment. If I was available in the middle of the week to sell you my crappy wall lamp for $3, maybe I should get a job so I wouldn't have to sell you my lamp for $3. C'mon people...
#4 Cream of Chicken soup - exceeds expectations. M and I rehashed this recipe from something we brought my parents on Thanksgiving. All you really need is a bird carcass, some wild rice, celery, carrots, chicken stock and heavy cream. And a big ol' cleaver. There aren't too many opportunities you get to use the kitchen-axe, so sieze them. Too bad I had to hit the road again, because M got to reap the rewards all week long.
#5 Juno - exceeded expectations. I didn't know where they were going to go with the 'teen pregnancy is funny' thing, but it was well done. Highly recommended.
#6 Grape Nuts cereal - far exeeeds expectations. I am on the fast track to old man town. I'm not waving my cane at kids on my lawn yet, but I can see it happening. I still love a bowl of fruity pebbles, but this stuff is strangely awesome.

So that's 6 things that have either impressed or disppointed me. Check them out (or not). I'll have a better post at some point later on. It's been a hellacious couple of weeks at work and I haven't had a great deal of time to mine the gold out there.

No comments: