Monday, February 18, 2008

Things you don’t do when you’re 23 and sharing a 3 bedroom in Allston…

When M and I decided to get our condo, I laid down the law: No furniture purchases for at least 3 months. This wasn’t because I really liked the stuff we already had, but a precautionary measure. I had heard too many tales of new homeowners running off to (insert furniture megastore here), buying 6 rooms worth of furniture on the 60 days no interest plan, and then paying a second mortgage on that ‘Cochrane 10 piece dining set in light espresso finish’ for 10 years. I didn’t want to be that guy, so for 3 months we sat on the furniture the F’s left behind for us. M has been feathering the nest here and there since that 90 day window closed. I can’t say it’s been unpleasant. I haven’t completely sold out and started wearing pleated dockers with tube socks and New Balances. My Friday work conversations don’t go like this:
“I told my wife I wouldn't drink tonight. Besides, I got a big day tomorrow. You guys have a great time.
A big day? Doing what?
Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.”
This weekend we even managed to hang out with real hipsters and pretend to be urban. We visited the new ICA near the world trade center in South Boston, loaded with conceptual art loaded with metaphors about angst and dystopian ennui. M and I were sorely out of place. As we were walking out, I saw all these groups of guys walking around with… golf clubs??! There’s no golf course near the seaport?? I had somehow missed out on a wicked sweet golf expo. Unfortunately I already have just about everything I need golf-wise, so I couldn’t argue for a detour. We did end up at a mall (in a much fancier suburb, which I enjoy driving through and pretending we live there), where M had found a few new items for the digs. We got a few new lamps which have completed the recycling of the old furniture in the bedroom. Now if those GD craigslisters would just come and take our old stuff away…..

No comments: