Monday, August 25, 2008

Keep your eyes on your nerd book

This morning, I had a few options for my commute:
1. Get to work. I had a training presentation to give at 10 and wasn't very prepared for it. 1:15 on the train would be a good time to get caught up and start the week right.
2. Get to sleep. I slept like crap the last few nights and had a legitimate nightmare last night. I have long been an advocate for nightmares (real ones, not just stressful dreams). I mean monsters and fire, real scary nightmares. The human mind is a wild and wooly place and I like exploring it. I woke up screaming last night and had an amputation level of dead-arm on Saturday that gave me a good jolt. The train is sometimes a good place to catch a few z's. That is, unless you slump over on your seatmate or start snoring.
3. Watch a movie. I've been getting man movies from netflix, and instead of watching them in hotel rooms, I watch them on the train. It's nice starting the day with fire and explosions and racing engines.

I chose #3. This week's fare is 'Eastern Promises'. I skipped the previews, which are normally a good indicator of what you're about to watch. I jumped right on the main event and was greeted with "Rated R for strong brutal and bloody violence, some graphic sexuality, language and nudity'. Hmm. All the things a growing morning needs, right? There wasn't anyone sitting near me, so I figured I could get a few scenes out of the way without offending anyone. Wrong. It's not like I was caught by surprise at the questionable scenes - I could see them coming - it was the depth and detail of the 'strong and brutal bloody violence' that I wasn't really prepared for. A few years of romantic comedies have sort of taken my brutal violence calluses off. After 30 minutes or so, I started to get some seatmates, so I tilted the screen away so as not to cause a ruckus, but I started to feel like a dirtbag for hiding my screen - I mean who sees a guy hiding his screen and doesn't wonder why he's hiding? Once the train really filled up, I noticed the guy next to me was no longer reading his software engineering book and was blatantly staring at my laptop screen. He couldn't hear what was playing, but aparrently what I was wathcing was compelling enough. There did come a scene where I had to shut it off or else really risk offending anyone within eyesight of me. Judging by my co-rider's sulking and sigh when he went back to his book, I think he was disappointed, but I don't want to end up on channel 5 at 11, facing charges that I offended someone. I still have 45 minutes or so left for my ride home. I can't wait...

1 comment:

csa said...

I'd be upset if you turned off Viggo Mortensen...